Monday, February 15, 2010

Fast-Track Day 5

I am ready to sign up for this NEXT year -- (Sorry Duane -- you get your fishing trip next year -- I will have to wait) But, what a GREAT GREAT GREAT experience. We are working our tails off -- in all four SAVVY's and our emotional fitness -- I've only cried 2 times -- Once the first day when I didn't feel I could do anything and the other one today -- as I don't feel I deserve to have this wonderful horse, Fanny, my teacher -- or the other wonderful horses I have had in my life.
. . .But I guess I have to get over that. . . and on with it. . .

Boy are we EXHAUSTED today. . . I mean REALLY exhausted. Not just emotionally exhausted, but physically exhausted. But it is raining hard now, so we are watching a tape of Ray Hunt give a clinic while everyone else is having their 1:1 with their coaches. I have had my session already.

Today we were shown in DETAIL how to halter, bridle, saddle, mount dismount a horse. . . New details were given. Like WHY do we bridle a horse from the ground.

We are talking about the ingredients that need to go into each task -- the purpose -- the whys of the tasks -- they aren't about the tasks -- and then what would be SAVVY and what not. . . We also learned LOTS about the circling game -- when it is a circling game and when it is not -- when to make the circling game a friendly game and when to help your horse show you what he will really do so you aren't stealing rides.

John Baar is an absolutely WONDERFUL teacher -- He gives the What -- Why and How -- then allows the WHAT IF to come out -- Also, he gives examples and some of his own experiences. We are learning the WHY's of the tasks -- and what is Savvy and what is not. . . It really is about the Savvy -- It is soooo true --

Our coaches took over this afternoon. We were told our strength and our weakness's in our pretest scores. Then we got to CHOOSE three or four skills we wanted to work on for the next week. . . We could choose in our weak area or not-- I chose what I wanted the most -- to canter on the rail, jump an obstacle, and get the stick to me game down like Brandi has it with Gunner. Cantering -- OK, so the ingredients are to walk the rail first -- I got to choose how many corrections I could make before I went to the next ingredient -- trot the rail. And yes -- we have to correct in phases -- eyes, belly button, legs reins -- any one of those is a correction. . . In other words -- Fanny has to follow the rail with JUST my focus. . . and I have to FOCUS -- and not touch the horse. . .OK -- think I'll start soon. . .as soon as I get a night's sleep.

Tomorrow there will Parelli Games here at the center -- I will be here to see what that is all about . . .

And Fanny and I are going to have bonding time. She has been OUTSTANDING. . . Her confidence in a new situation (Environment) is GREAT -- she has just become better. She also lets me know when she doesn't want to have anything to do with me -- and she does that at the most unexpected times.

Until next time.

jo

No comments:

Post a Comment