Monday, February 15, 2010

Fast-Track Day 4

WOW! Day 4 and I am not even exhausted -- Now, my body hurts, don't get me wrong, but my spirit keeps moving.

This morning was the LAST day of the TEST -- The TEST was a theory test and 4 practical tests -- all at level 4 competencies. On Line, Freestyle, Liberty and Finesse. These TESTS showed us what we were going to spend the next 4 weeks learning.

Now, YOU FLUNKED,) if your horse and you were at level I (or as we say some of us did PREK level) and TRIED to do the Level 4 as they explained it. Showed NO savvy. (I think -- we find out our true scores tomorrow -- But DON'T expect me to share MINE with you. . .I KNOW how badly I did -- and I don't even care-- I care about what I am going to learn in the next 4 weeks.)

Some skills today (we had 11 that had to be done) were flying lead changes using three perfect circles with 20 meters diameters. . . Transitions from a walk to a canter -- backup with as light as you can get it. . . and the list goes on. At least I didn't have to jump a barrel again today (THanks Leanna for your Video -- it is always in my mind). . . They are trying to teach us the ingredients of each skill, so we can figure out the piece that might be missing, or where we need to go. When we are done, they want us to be puzzle solvers. (My husband would be GREAT at this.) Now, as many of you know, I have a reining horse. Do you think she would pick up a canter departure during the TEST -- No No No!!!!! so we did everything at a trot. . . At least the evaluator was nice enough to say to me at least I knew what a circle was. . .Trust me, Fanny went outside the evaluation area and we cantered and cantered and cantered. (Not necessarily DIRECT LINE on my part -- I figured out that I was holding her back with the reins as I was asking her to canter forward -- conflicting messages. . .I am lucky that Fanny is very honest)

We all had a GREAT time, and I was ready to ride another 5 hours -- even though Fanny was THROUGH. . . (This is why I need 3 horses lined up ready for my obsessive behaviors).

After riding, we were taught saddle fitting, shimming, posture, bits, saddles, ON LINE WITH 45 FOOT LINES skills and more. Oh yes, the information is being shoved very fast and furious. (Boot CAMP) I have sat through 4 saddle fitting and shimming demonstrations and taken a full day of posture vs confirmation workshop -- and three workshops about bits before this one. So it was easy listening for me. For those of you going, I would highly suggest you read read read -- because they go through the information VERY fast -- if you have some background -- it will be easier. It is boot camp -- I can hardly wait to get home to read some more.

Fanny was a HOOT -- she was ready for me when I arrived this morning. But, after our three hour marathon, she went to the corner of her 24X24 foot pen and wouldn't even turn around when I came in to the pen. Did she know I was there -- of course -- her ears were pointed to me, she was looking out of one eye and at the same time flipping her tail at me as if to say "F.... You" I am staying over here. What did I do -- I stayed as far away as I could, sat on the ground and looked for 4 leaf clovers like I did as a kid -- sure enough, within 2 minutes she was over looking for 4 leaf clovers again. She then allowed me to halter her from the ground and we went out to eat grass together for the next 45 minutes.

OK, now the meat and potatoes of the day. THERE ARE NO DESSERTS -- nothing SWEET being served at the meals -- The horses get their choice of water or molasses water. grain, cubes, hay -- etc. But, we HUMANS get brocolli, meat, some starches, fruit and all the GOOD stuff. So if you want SWEETS -- bring your own.

Until tomorrow -- I will be thinking of you.



jo

No comments:

Post a Comment