Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fast-Track Day 14

Day 13 Fast-Track

What a gorgeous day. I still wore toe warmers, gloves, 4 layers, etc. But, the sun was out warming the hearts and souls of us and our horses.

Planning is very important with our horses. Then we need to be flexible to change, depending on the horse that shows up – and the savvy that is needed.

I cannot say enough how it is NOT about completing the task – it is about the SAVVY or knowing what to do when the horse can’t do it – or doesn’t understand.

How do we make the horse successful and not make the horse feel wrong. . . How do we Expect a lot – accept a little – reward often. . . And how are our PHASES in that process.

With Fanny, it is so hard for me. I need to know the ingredients in a step by step format. I need to slow myself down – so I can give her the cues in phases—so she understands.

I am playing with “bridleless riding” which basically means I need to use my focus first, then if she doesn’t respond to that I turn my bellybutton, and if she doesn’t respond to that I put a leg on her. IF and ONLY IF she doesn’t respond, I pick up the reins.

Also, today played with bridleless backups – and bridleless side passes – We then played a purpose game for these two tasks – (open a gate and close it without taking your hand off the gate – with excellence -- all brideless)

Fanny understands my backup cues bridleless now—but we don’t have the sideways bridleless. . . Therefore, the purpose activity needed work – so what am going to play with? Certainly not the opening of gates – but a few steps sideways with help of the carrot stick or not – no reins. That is where we are. And, of course, she is a right brain introvert and I am a right brain extrovert. I want her to hurry up and lick and chew (RBE) and she can take minutes and minutes and minutes to lick and chew (RBI). So I am learning patience and to wait and wait and wait.

I had one little emotional unfitness today. I was watching a fellow who has just been riding around 6 years. He looked like a professional. . .so talented. I was jealous, envious, etc. Why is everything so hard for me? Why don’t I have any natural talent. But, then I was reminded, it is about the TRY – not always about the TALENT. I dried my tears and went on with my TRY.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment