Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Days 16 and 17

I am combining these days as we have been on our horses for hours -- and then we've been studying for our final exam which takes place on Wed -- written theory -- and Thur -- Practical with our horses.

SADDLE FITTINg

We are having a horrible time getting any saddle to fit Fanny's short back. . . they press down into her butt.

I might try an English saddle tomorrow -- I know -- wouldn't my reining horse, Fanny, look funny with a fluidity English saddle? But, it is short and she could move her front end and, back end. We have shimmed and re-shimmed my cutting saddle.

WATER CROSSING: I have been working for three weeks on Fanny going in to the water. She WILL not -- I drive her to the water, then relax, then add more pressure -- I can just get her front feet in.

Today (Tues --Day 17), John had us on our horses and playing "follow the leader" to work on lateral flexion. We got to the creek -- all horses were crossing -- but NOT Fanny. So John had all the horses keep crossing beside us. I was to get out my Savvy rope, look up, and swing the rope around myself so it continued to hit Fanny in the butt. (I had to STOP using my kicking motion.) As soon as her feet touched the water, I had to STOP. I did this twice -- then back to swinging the Savvy Rope. Sure enough, through the water she went-- quietly. (Pressure on zone 4) Now, we go through the water without a hesitation. . .BRAVE BRAVE FANNY.

I used the same technique to encourage Fanny to step over a huge log -- WORKED! Tomorrow I will try it through the car wash.

This group is soooo cohesive. I have so many friends to keep in touch with. The first two weeks we were just getting to know each other -- the last 2 weeks we really are enjoying each other. We will miss each other horribly.

Enough for today.
jo

No comments:

Post a Comment