Monday, February 15, 2010

Fast-Track Day 3

We are all in the Lodge eating supper -- Yes the food is GREAT . . .

But, most of us can hardly walk. We are soooo tired. And if you think WE are tired, just ask our horses. This morning we went from station to station getting graded on 10 savvy's at Liberty -- at LEVEL 4. Since I have only done Liberty once or twice with Fanny, and we CERTAINLY DON"T have the Stick to me Game down, I started on line with her at every station. As she figured out the pattern, I would then take the line off - - and do the liberty task. Today, I did REMEMBER -- to use my SAVVY -- don't ask this good sweet horse to do something I haven't taught and she doesn't understand. Break down the task and just push a little.

Then we did 12 stations of Freestyle riding -- Fanny and I jumped the white barrels for the first time. I did not come off, but I sure popped out of my saddle. During the trot/ lope stop and back up with no hands, I decided I needed to retrain her to do this during the task -- I did it and the last trot stop and back up she did while I had my arms folded.
In the cloverleaf pattern, we were to lope both ways arms folded. . . -- Fanny thought I said "This is a reining competition so go as fast you can." OOOOOOH-- glad I had my helmet on.

Someone said it feels like we have completed two weeks -- and we've only been with our horses two days. . .

Someone else asked if we had to ride the horses -- some didn't feel like they were quite ready yet -- The response was a very kind and gentle "That's why we call it BOOT CAMP.

We are in class or with our horses over 11 hours a day and will sleep well at night. Wish you were all here. . .Actually, the group is VERY positive about our experience so far -- We are all tired, but VERY VERY happy.

Of course, it was 67 degrees, sun was shining, and I was with my horse -- what was there to be UNHAPPY about?

More Later


Jo Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment