Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DAY 18 -- I got a LESSON from PAT

Ok -- I didn't get it. I have known some wonderful horse trainers over the years -- Hall of Fame horse trainers. They have been my friends. Why is it SOOOO wonderful to RIDE with Pat. Why do all of these EXTERNS and INTERNS and INSTRUCTORS come back year after year. I love the program, but I didn't understand the desire to be on a horse next to Pat UNTIL TODAY. . .

In this huge place there are basically 4 areas -- the teaching area for learners such as me, the foundation station across the road for the externs and others where horses are trained -- the personal residences of Pat and Linda and Mark W. and Pat's BARN -- where the interns ride with Pat. We are not allowed in any area except OUR area. . .

Today for the first time Pat was loping across our playground. I would not have known it was him, except his border collie was following him. I watched Pat as he loped to his house. Whew, he didn't look my way.

I didn't think much of it after that. Fanny and I were working on millions of transitions, stop on a sit down and whoa and listening to my body to know what to do (Eyes, bellybutton, legs -- then reins.) She was doing the transitions and stops great -- but not the following my focus. At a certain point after Fanny had stopped on her butt, tucked her head down, rocked back on her hind quarters I heard the words -- "Wow that was nice!" I looked up -- there was Pat watching every movement. I was startled and embarrassed. I started my "yes but, you should have seen her a few minutes ago" I stopped in mid-sentence and said "Thank you"! You learn many things around here, one of them are there are no YES BUTS. . .

Then I started off, Pat still watching with those focused eyes. Fanny was great until I tried to turn her with my eyes, belly button, legs -- no response. (I was riding with no hands on the reins.) Pat started to say something when I reached down and cued Fanny with the rein -- then let go fast. "That's right, Pat said!" Don't Let the Horse be Wrong too Long." And he turned and went loping off another way.

Now, I GET it. Pat can help with just a small phrase -- He can look, see, correct or present a puzzle. And you know he is right. . . No wonder there are all of those people up at the BARN riding with him. . .I feel I have had a huge huge lesson -- with just one little phrase. . .Don't let the horse be wrong too long (or he will think he was right)

If I were only younger, more athletic (talented) -- I have the rest of what Pat wants -- attitude, dedication, loyalty -- Oh well, on with my own journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment